Thieves essential oil is a blend of powerful essential oils. Thieves was created from research of a group of 15th-century thieves, the ‘4 thieves’, who rubbed oils on themselves to avoid contracting the deadly plague while they robbed the bodies of the dead and dying. When apprehended, these thieves disclosed the formula of herbs, spices, and oils they used to protect themselves in exchange for more lenient punishment. It is the story of these 4 thieves which brought forth the popular essential oil blend called Thieves.
Studies conducted at Weber State University (Ogden, UT) during 1997 demonstrated its killing power against airborne microorganisms.
- One analysis showed a 90 percent reduction in the number of gram positive Micrococcus luteus organisms after diffusing for 12 minutes. After 20 minutes of diffusing, the kill rate jumped to 99.3 percent.
- Another study against the gram negative Pseudomonas aeruginosa showed a kill rate of 99.96 percent after just 12 minutes of diffusion.
By combining Thieves essential oil with a few basic household items such as; vinegar, baking soda, olive oil, V-6 Massage Oil, or water – you can easily create various different cleaning products and simple home remedies.
The scent of this blend of essential oils is really nice; somewhat spicy, while fresh and clean smelling. And the best part… it is perfect for those who prefer to have an all-natural home!
Not only is Thieves and essential oil but it is an entire line of products! Learn more about the Thieves products and about how to save 24 percent off retail by purchasing the Start Living with Thieves kit.
50 Ways to Use Thieves Essential Oil
- First Aid Home Remedy for minor cuts; apply 1-2 drops Thieves essential oil to cuts or open wounds to prevent infection and promote healing. More on making a natural First Aid kit.*
- Mix one drop Thieves essential oil with a tablespoon of water, gargle and swallow for a scratchy throat.*
- Apply 2 drops Thieves essential oil diluted with 1 TBSP V-6 Massage Oil to upper chest and throat to help ease aromatically congestion symptoms.*
- Put a drop on your thumb and push thumb on the roof of your mouth for a few minutes to stop a headache.
- Put 2-5 drops in a capsule with a little olive oil and swallow to support the immune system and lessen chances of contracting wintertime germs.*
- Freshen smelly shoes or sneakers; put several drops Thieves essential oil on a cotton ball, place cotton ball in shoes over night to kill odors.
- Put a couple drops of Thieves essential oil directly on the soles of your feet to act as a way to thwart colds and flu.* See more of my immune system tips.
- Diffuse Thieves essential oil in your home to keep airborne germ count down. More on diffusers and diffusing.
- Breathe in the vapors directly from the bottle when you have congestion.
- Use 4-6 drops diluted with 1 cup water in a spray bottle to clean pet cages, creating a healthier environment for them.
- Add 2-3 drops to your dishwasher for cleaner dishes.
- Add 4-8 drops to your laundry cycle to sanitize clothes.
- Clean and disinfect floors; to a bucket of water add 1/4 cup white vinegar and 8-12 drops Thieves essential oil. If the floor is particularly dirty add several drops of dishwashing soap.
- Mix 4 drops in a 4oz. spray bottle filled with water as a spray and repel insect pests on your flowers and plants.
- Use a few drops on a tissue to dissolve the gummy adhesive from price labels.
- Apply 1 drop to bee and wasp stings to neutralize the toxin and help relieve the ouch.
- Rub 1-2 drops Thieves essential oil on gums to prevent gum disease.*
- Rub 1-2 drops on teeth to maintain healthy teeth and possibly reduce cavities.*
- Apply 1-2 drops to gums or tooth for pain relief from toothaches.
- Diffuse to solve mold problems.
- Add a drop or two to orange juice and drink to help reduce phlegm and congestion.
- Apply 4 drops mixed with 1 TBSP V-6 Massage Oil and rub onto joints to ease discomfort.
- Put a drop in your cup of tea for flavor and to support wellness when airborne germs are at their worst.
- Put a drop on the tip of your tongue to help you stop smoking.
- Mix 1 drop with a little V-6 and dab on lip sores to cleanse and support their healing.*
- Dryer sheet; on a damp washcloth place 4-6 drops Thieves essential oil, toss in dryer with laundry, dry.
- Rub 2-4 drops mixed with 1 TBSP V-6 and rub on specific joints to ease creakiness.*
- Drink a drop in water or juice 1-2 times a day to help prevent wintertime illnesses.*
- Place a drop on the tongue and a drop in a glass of water every day for herpes.
- Rub 2 drops on the bottoms of children’s feet for protection before school every day.
- Diffuse for 30 minutes before children come home from school every day to promote wellness aromatically.
- Mix 50:50 with V-6 Massage Oil and rub on location daily for relief of nerve inflammation, see protocol for shingles.
- Apply one drop on the wound of a dog to clear it up. Warning: do not use near eyes or very delicate skin.
- Diffuse Thieves essential oil in the home or office to stimulate a cheerful mood.
- Diffuse in Thieves essential oil the office to increase concentration and work efficiency.
- Diffuse at work to dispel airborne germs.
- Diffuse Thieves essential oil in the classroom every morning for 30 minutes to reduce student sickness and absenteeism.
- Carpet freshener and disinfectant; put 16-20 drops Thieves essential oil in 1 cup Baking Soda, in a container and mix well, allow to sit over night covered so the essential oil can be absorbed. Sprinkle on carpet, let sit for a little while, then vacuum.
- Mix 1-2 drops with honey in a teaspoon to help support cough relief.*
- Breathe directly from the bottle for sinus discomforts.*
- Mix 15-20 drops in a 14oz. spray bottle and mist school or office desks and other surfaces to reduce student or employee sickness and absenteeism.
- Put several drops on a tissue and place in the vent of the A/C of a hotel to freshen and purify stale air.
- Scented vacuum bag; put 2-4 drops Thieves essential oil on your paper vacuum bag to freshen air while vacuuming.
- Mix 4-8 drops in a 1oz. (pocket-size) spray bottle filled with water to spray public restroom surfaces before use to disinfect surfaces.
- Carry a bottle on every flight to inhale or rub on soles of the feet to protect you from germs on the plane.
- Put several drops Thieves essential oil on a tissue and put in the heat/AC vents of your car to freshen and purify air while you drive.
- Sanitize kitchen countertops; put 12-18 drops in a 14oz. spray bottle filled with water and spray surfaces to clean and disinfect countertops and butcher blocks.
- Mix several drops with 1 cup of baking soda to scrub and sanitize bathtubs and sinks.
- Apply 4-6 drops mixed with V-6 Massage Oil to the toes and feet to help combat foot fungus.
- Apply 2-4 drops Thieves essential oil mixed with 1 TBSP V-6 Massage Oil to poison ivy rashes to help relieve the itch.
*Disclaimer: These statements are for educational purposes and are not intended to replace conventional professional help when needed. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat or prescribe any illness or disease. Statements are not endorsed by the FDA.