This is part two in a series of three on using essential oils safely with children. Part 1 covers how hospitals across the USA are incorporating the use of superior quality essential oils, such as Young Living’s, as an integrated modality with children. This series is only a primer and please do keep in mind that children, like adults, respond uniquely to natural additions in any wellness routine. And, part 3 covers YL essential oils that children have gotten good results using.
I cannot stress this point enough, essential oils are NOT created equally. It is estimated that 98% of all essential oils in the world are adulterated. On this blog and my website, I am ONLY referring to the use of the Young Living brand. I personally would never use or recommend another brand, even if it’s a brand sold in a health food store.
Since the YL essential oils are superior quality and extremely potent and they are always used by the drop. Never use a YL essential oil buy the handful on children or adults!
How to make an essential oil compress for children
One type of application for children (or adults with very sensitive skin) which is very mild is a compress. Here is how one is made:
- Place 5-15 drops of your YL essential oil into a basin filled with warm water.
- Water temperature should be approximately 100 degrees F (38 degrees C), unless the person suffers from neurological conditions; in that case, use cool water.
- Vigorously agitate the water and let it stand for 1 minute.
- Place a dry washcloth on top of the water to soak up the essential oils that have floated to the top of the water.
- Wring the water out the washcloth and apply the washcloth on the location (never apply the washcloth on the eye area). To seal in the warmth, cover the location with a thick towel for 15-30 minutes.
Note: it is possible that the essential oil chosen for the compress causes a warming or burning sensation, especially where the greatest benefits are occurring. If the burning or too hot sensation becomes uncomfortable, apply some V-6 Massage Oil to the location. You may want to not reapply the essential oil washcloth, if that is the case; after applying the V-6 cover the location with the thick towel to keep warmth in.
Cold Pack Application
For children, dilute your chosen YL essential oil with V-6 Massage Oil, then apply the mixture to the location of inflammation or swollen tissues. Frozen packs of peas or corn make excellent ice packs that will mold to the contours of the body part and will not leak. Keep the cold pack on until swelling diminishes.
For neurological problems, always use cold packs, never hot packs.
Massage for Aches and Discomforts
Again for children, dilute your chosen YL essential oil with V-6 Massage Oil, then apply the mixture to the location of muscle discomfort.
Insect Bites and Stings
Bites and stings on children are almost always lessened by using YL Lavender essential oil (#3575).
Another YL product that is very popular among children for insect bites, burns/sunburn, and itchy skin, is LavaDerm Cooling Mist (#3249), this is a spray.
Note: NEVER use cheap Lavender for any topical use with children because it is almost always lavindin, which is a completely different species of plant and does NOT contain the same benefits and it will make any first aid situation worse!
For very bad insect stings you may need something stronger, Thieves essential oil (#3423) would be your second choice. Of course you will want to dilute this “hot” essential oil with V-6 before application.
Scrapes and Small Cuts
LavaDerm Cooling Mist (#3249) contains YL Lavender essential oils as one of its ingredients and is very soothing to scraped up skin.
For smaller cuts and minor abrasions you would use Thieves Spray on the location to cleanse bacteria out of larger cuts and wounds.
Burns and Sunburn
LavaDerm Cooling Mist (#3249) is what to use, it is spray and you would spray it onto sunburned skin often so that the skin stays hydrated. If the burn is bad, seek immediate medical attention and on the way to the doctor spray LavaDerm onto the location to keep it clean. Lavender essential oil in this spray has antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
The YL Peppermint essential oil (#3614) is widely used to bring down a fever in both children and adults. For a fever, apply 4-7 drops on the soles of each foot. The fever should be down or gone within 30 minutes.
When YL essential oils, like peppermint for a fever, it’s not necessary to dilute the essential oil because the soles of the feet are not considered to be a sensitive skin area. However, please, use your own judgement and always apply V-6 whenever there is sensitivity.
Using a Diffuser
Using a diffuser around the home can be a very effective way to keep the entire family healthy. When YL essential oils are diffused in the TheraPro Premium Diffuser (#4495) a micro-fine mist of essential oil is put into the air, when the mist of essential oil comes into contact with cold or flu germs they can destroy them.
Diffusing can also be useful for congestion, due to colds or flu. The inhalation of the essential oil can help break-up congestion and provide some relief from cold and flu symptoms.
The TheraPro Diffuser is easy to use, it has a speed control knob and built-in timer. It is the most versatile YL has in its line.
To help keep your family from missed days of school and work due to colds and flu, diffuse for 15-30 minutes, 3-5 times a day.
never use ‘heat’ to diffuse your YL essential oil as the heat destroys the beneficial molecules rendering them useless (it will still smell nice if you use heat but there will not be any therapeutic benefits).
Note: do NOT dilute your YL essential oils for diffusing as this could ruin your diffuser. Instead, use the timer and diffuser more often and for shorter periods of time to conserve your essential oils.
Good essential oil blends to diffuse for…
- Eliminating cold and flu germs in the house are: Thieves (#3423), Purification (#3399) – use a diffuser for this.
- Calming: Peace & Calming (#3393), Gentle Baby (#3345).
- Uplifting spirits: Joy (#3372), Harmony (#3351).
- Retention during study-time: Brain Power (#3313), Clarity (#3321).
- Possible help for ADD/ADHD: a 50/50 mix of Sandalwood (#3634) and Ylang Ylang (#3659).
- Emotional trauma: SARA (#3417), Trauma Life (#6350).
- Troubles sleeping: Lavender (a single #3575), Peace & Calming (#3393).
- Monsters in the bedroom: Valor (#3429), White Angelica (#3432)
- Congestion from Colds: R.C. (#3405) – diffused and/or applied diluted to chest and back.
As always though, it is far cheaper and easier to ‘prevent’ illness than it is to get over it. For that reason, I highly recommend the Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier (#3622 3-pk), this is perfect for kids backpacks, working mom’s and dad’s, and families on the go! A tiny dab rubbed on the hands acts as an essential oil barrier to help kill germs and viruses that we come in contact with through touching things.
Each time you use the Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier you will know that you are not exposing yourself and kids to the chemical antibiotics found in similar hand sanitizers. You will also be playing a large role in the ‘prevention’ of creating super germs (those bacteria and viruses which have been mutating a resistance to antibacterial products in recent years). Superior quality essential oils are compromised of complex molecular antibiotic compounds, unlike simple chemical antibiotics (which are easy for bacteria and viruses to develop resistant to).
Ingredients in Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier: Denatured ethanol SD-38B (denatured with Peppermint Essential Oil, not chemicals), water, aloe barbadensis leaf, vegetable glycerin, syzygium aromaticum† (clove) flower bud oil, citrus limon† (lemon) peel oil, cinnamon verum† (cinnamon) bark oil, eucalyptus radiate† leaf oil, rosmarinus officinalis† (rosemary) leaf oil, and hydroxylpropyl cellulose.
NEVER DO THESE 6 THINGS!!!
- Never dilute an essential oil that is already on the skin with water, essential oils at NOT diluted with the use of water. ALWAYS use your V-6 as your carrier oil, if you have run out of V-6 you can use Extra Virgin Olive Oil or any other high quality carrier oil.
- Never allow a child to ingest an essential oil unless otherwise instructed by an aromatherapist or other medical practitioner.
- Never apply any essential oil, even if it is diluted, near or to the eyes or in the ear.
- Never allow children to play with your essential oils, they are not play-things.
- Never apply essential oils topically to an infant or baby, their bodies are too delicate and too young for such potent things.
- Never leave your diffuser running all night close to a child. And never allow them to directly inhale from the diffuser.
~~ Buy YL Essential Oils ~~
The best book on this topic is: Gentle Babies: Essential Oils and Natural remedies for Pregnancy, Childbirth, Infants and Young Children by Debra Raybern
* These uses ONLY pertain to the Young Living brand of essential oils.
** All citrus essential oils and Bergamot essential oil can cause photosensitive reactions to the skin, which means do not expose skin that has these essential oils to UV light for 18-24 hours. Some blends DO contain citrus essential oils or Bergamot essential oil, so read the label for ingredients!
Disclaimer: Statements made here have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. Information here is for your better understanding of natural wellness. It is your own responsibility to use common sense and discover what works best for you and your family.